A structural fire can cause extensive damage and injury, but there are steps you can take to keep your home safe.
- Keep small appliances, such and irons and hair dryers, unplugged when not in use.
- Don’t overload electric outlets.
- Use the correct size light bulb for light sockets. Do not install bulbs that are too powerful.
- Don’t run electrical cords under rugs, furniture or boxes. Check cords regularly for signs of fraying or wear.
- Keep your stove top and oven clean, and do not leave foods cooking while unattended. Keep potholders and towels away from the stove.
- Test smoke detectors frequently and replace batteries when needed.
- Store matches and lighters in a safe place out of the reach of children.
- Make sure storage areas are clean and free of clutter, and never store flammable liquids, such as gasoline or kerosene, in your home.
- If a fire occurs, get out of the building first, then call 911.